Bible Verse of the Day

Matthew 21:22
"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Attaining a Family Reunion Visa


This is my first experience in applying for a visa. I have never gone abroad nor obtained any visa in the past. After getting married, just having the thought of me in this kind of situation, made me think that whatever the result will be - that is the life that I get to live. For me, visa is a life. I am married to a German national. To have an approved visa application is one of my new goals since I got married. Obviously because my life now is my husband. We are no longer two separate persons, but one.

Here is a summary list of steps which we took towards our goal:
Passport appointment - I had to renew my passport to update my status and change of surname...without using the "courtesy lane" for Government employees (I am a government employee.) I was able to make an appointment with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) within a week. It was fast and easy for me compared to what I have heard from others. Others had to wait 2 to 3 weeks to 1 month for a passport appointment.
Documents/requirements accessibility - With the help of my colleague, Chichi, I was able to obtain my birth certificate and my CEMAR from the National Statistics Office (NSO)...within 2 weeks and without having to go there to apply personally for these documents.
Visa appointment - On May 14 (Friday), I called the German Embassy thru their Call Center or Visa Appointment System via Call center. The Call center agent gave me the option to choose which date I would like my appointment schedule to be. I decided for May 18 at 10:45am. This is another fast move while others have to wait for about 2weeks to 1 month for it.
Visa Appointment day - The lady officer in the German Embassy was friendly, calm and approachable. Despite that I had to wait for about more than 1 hour because there was a lot of applicants before me which had difficult cases or situations that required too much time with the Embassy officer.
Examination of documents - I did not undergo such process anymore. Not only it has saved time for my visa processing, it has also saved us from spending...
Php 11,900 - for verification fee including postal charges
Php 2,500 to 5,000 - for the translation of my documents from English to Deutsch
Php 1,500 to 3,000 - for Fedex shipping cost from Manila to Germany
Proof of basic German Language proficiency, issued by the Goethe Institut Manila - According to page 4 of this file
,

"No proof of basic knowledge of the German language is required if sufficient knowledge is evident (this means that the application in German language as well as the interview in German language must take place without the help of a third party)."

and Page 2 of this
file,


"If during the personal interview in the embassy or consulate general it becomes evident beyond any doubt that you have the required knowledge of the German language, no separate proof is required."
and 3rd bullet which states,


Are there exceptions?
Yes. You do not have to prove any knowledge of German, as a
rule, if one of the following statements applies:
■You have a university degree and probably be able to
find work in Germany on the basis of your language skills
(recognisably minor integration requirement).

We thought I would be exempted from this requirement because I have two Bachelor Degrees - Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering and Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. OR at least I will be taking a German interview during my appointment on May 18. Stefan and I have been practicing a lot and studying the German language for this big day.

However, during the appointment at the German Embassy, the lady officer told me to enroll at the Goethe Institut in Makati and take and pass their A1 exam to be able to get this certificate. The lady could not give me the interview that I was asking for because according to her, she has no capability to do the interview. A German national officer is the right person to give interviews to applicants. Then again I would find it very hard and I might not pass the interview because it is very difficult to understand. And that most of the applicants prolonged their waiting time for their visa due to failing to provide this requirement.

I got scared and discouraged from taking the interview.

We were very disappointed. We have prepared so much for this interview. And we were expecting a lot from it. To make this long story short, the German Embassy did not stick to what is written on their page. Thus, we decided that I must take the A1 exam at the Goethe Institut(GI) and continue to study more beforehand. The next possible exam date was on June 30. I had at least more than a month for further studying. I have also found out that GI offers a Placement Test for only Php 150.00. And I decided to take it. I got an evaluation report of having a basic knowledge of the German language between level A1.2 and A1.3. Yet, the lady at the GI advised that I buy their books to further study on some pointers which were my weaknesses during the exam. I bought only the Intensive Training book which costs Php 500.00. However, I lost it after 2 weeks of studying it. I don't remember how I lost it. But I was bringing it anywhere I go. I have been studying it even I was in the train or jeepney. So I guess, I did not notice that it fell from me or I have left it somewhere. No idea. Anyway, I registered for the exam at the Goethe Institut and sent the payment of Php 4,000 as the examination fee for outsiders (examinees who are not enrolled in their language course).

On the examination day, I was very nervous. I have never been that nervous ever since. My hands were shaking, I was a bit chilling too. Even during the essay or writing part of the exam, the table was shaking too because I could not control or stop my hand from shaking. LOL. I got worried that the examiner may not understand my handwriting. The hearing part of the exam was extremely difficult for me because the recorded conversations are too fast for a beginner. Out of the 15 questions under the hearing part, I was not sure of any of my answers. Not a single answer! My nervousness have been with me constantly until the releasing of the results the day after. GI releases the result only to the examinee. Two days after, I personally went to GI. Finally I prayed to God and had this comforting thought for myself to have a score of at least 60%, as it is the passing score. I gave my passport to the guy in white uniform and he came back with a white envelope. I gazed at the envelope and it seemed to be empty. He handed it over to me. I opened it and found a cut-out strip of bond paper with

(My Name stated here). 93

I asked the guy what it means. As I was expecting to receive a letter with a message like

Dear ..................,
Congratulations! You have passed the exam....
or
We are sorry you did not pass the exam....

The guy told me that it is my grade. And it is the highest. My tears fell down on my cheeks. It was tears of joy. I was shocked as I have never expected it. He began to ask me questions like "Have you been to Germany?, Where did you study? Did you study at the Sprache school?"...I said, "No, I haven't been to Germany and no I did not enroll at any school. I just had a self-study with the help of my husband." Then he said, "Come back on Monday to get your certificate and we will give you a gift for being the highest passer." I left and immediately phoned my mom, crying and telling her what happened. Then I phoned Stefan too and broke the good news to him. To God be the glory! It was one of the many miracles that God gave me. Many many thanks to my mom, my dearest Stefan, Mama and Papa and everybody who have prayed for me to pass this exam. I believe in God. And I believe that God listens to our prayers! In Matthew 21:22, and whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.

To conclude, we were able to save at least Php 18,000 from the enrollment fee at the Goethe Institut PLUS fares PLUS foods expenses.

Last July 5, I got my certificate. And immediately the following, day I mailed it to the German Embassy via LBC courier. Then last July 13, I got a phone call from the German Embassy informing me that the approval of my visa has arrived and requiring me to visit them with my passport and departure date.


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for sharing your blog. It was very nice. If you want family reunion visa germany then you can consult Jaberi Lawyer. We assist individuals with all types of Immigration Services, in particular Business Immigration, skilled worker Immigration, Blue Card EU, Naturalization, and Family Immigration matters in Europe.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or ask a question. However, advertisements are not allowed.

Thanks,
Lucy

Quote of the Day

To remember everyday

Never underestimate the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Everybody can make the impossible things happen in the name of the Lord.