Bible Verse of the Day

Matthew 21:22
"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."

Thursday, January 13, 2011

One man's trash is another man's treasure

 I believe as a Filipino, I am practical when it comes to things (except for clothes and shoes, sometimes 'cuz I love shopping.) 

The other day, when me and my Sweetie was on our way home after a nice short walk around the neighborhood, I saw a nice rattan table standing on the corner of the street with all other junks like electronic video player, tape or radio player. The rattan side table looks nice. I told to my Sweetie that we can take and use it as a stand for our old TV in the attic. He just smiled. He thought I was joking. But I did not know that the woman was putting all those stuffs on the streets so that the ZAH (a company which picks up junks from owners. The owners might have to make an appointment with them for the date of pick up.) As we were almost home, my Sweetie said that the woman was already throwing it away. I asked why, when it is still looking good. I said we could go back and take it if there is no problem taking it since she is throwing it away. Late that night, we decided to go back and pick it up. There it is, still standing along with other table which is also in good condition, a rattan chair with some damage on it, and other woods and electronic devices. We checked for damage on the rattan table. It is still in very good condition. I was amazed. Looks clean and without any stains whatsoever. So we picked it up and brought it home. The next day, I cleaned it before putting it in our living room for the meantime (see photo). Since then I am always on the look for some useful junks on the streets as I walk to and from school. I believe in this famous saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

I asked my Sweetie if ZAH has a website. We found it. I have checked it and some people give away their stuffs for free, selling it very cheap and or exchange them for something less. One which I have seen is asking for  one case of Coca Cola in can for his old Television. 

I have also found this useful and very familiar site - Ebay Kleinanzeigen. In their search box, I can specify what I am searching for, the location of the item and which category. The "location" option is very useful to me to know if the item is near us or not. I found many used furnitures which are near to us. They are selling it very cheap and or in very good reasonable price. I even found some which are giving it away for free. WOW! This I find so amazing. People here in Germany mostly want to buy new furnitures instead of used ones. But Filipinos like me are very practical. For as long as the furnitures (or electronic device) or parts of it are still usable and working properly, we make use of it until it is completely kaputt (broken or not working.) Well there are few limitations to my "waste management" idea. One main factor to consider is the hygienic condition of the item. Beds, or mattress, towels, carpets are just some which are not to be included in my waste management. Another one factor to consider is, take only what you need. So our home won't look like a junk shop. =)

I wish we have something like this in the Philippines. Then it would really really help the unfortunate ones which could not afford to buy furnitures or stuffs for their homes. And I think there will be less thieves. 

...Or if I could just pick up all these useful "trashes" and send it to my relatives in the Philippines who can still make very good use of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment or ask a question. However, advertisements are not allowed.

Thanks,
Lucy

Quote of the Day

To remember everyday

Never underestimate the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Everybody can make the impossible things happen in the name of the Lord.